25 januari 2010

IVANAhelsinki- Paola Ivana Suhonen


Paola Ivana Suhonen is the designer behind the Finnish art brand IVANAhelsinki. She runs the family-owned company with her older sister Pirjo. Paola designs clothes, shortmovies, prints and graphics. I really have enjoyed her shows, her clothes are feminine and girly with lovely prints like stars and dots. I came in contact with Paola for the interview through her sweet sister Pirjo. When I reached her she was in NY.

I always start by asking what is your star sign?
Gemini.
Do you think you are typical of your star sign?
I don´t know anything about star signs & horoscopes, so I have to say, that hmm...no idea. I´m always the extremes, nothing in between.
Did you always know that you wanted to be a fashion designer?
NO WAY, I hate fashion. I really don´t know how I ended up in this area. I love beauty, passion, love and roadtrips. So maybe beeing a fashion designer gives me some freedom to do these things.
What advice would you giva a aspiring designer or person who wants to work in fashion?
Never follow fashion, create it! Observe what´s around you, love, live strongly, that´s the only way to be able to create something meaningful to ourself and for others to pick it up.
How would you describe your own personal style?
Very 60´s, dresses and rock.
What is style?
Inner aesthetics, knowing ourself, charisma and deeper knowlidge. Like a soul compass where ever you go, what ever you pick. It´s quite easy, if the compass needle always finds the right path.
Which piece in your wardrobe could you not live without?
Now it´s my IVANA helsinki woolen tights. I live in an old warehouse by the east river in Brooklyn and damn it´s windy inside aswell!
What inspired you for your collecition for the spring/summer 2010?
Crashed circus life, miserableness behind the tight, mad, social communitie´s scenes, leaving circus, is it freedom or loneliness."There is a thin line between being lonely or free"!
And my last question, which celebrity would you want to dress in IVANAhelsinki?
Brigitte Bardot she´s amazing, still!
I just loved Paolas answers, she seems to be a spiritual person and so down to earth!

Inga kommentarer :